A risotto surely qualifies as comfort food and I know a whole bunch of people who would eat it more often if it didn’t take so long to make. Well, that doesn’t have to hold you back anymore, now that you have an instant pot!
Make use of the slow cooker setting, spend only a few minutes preparing your ingredients, pop it all in the pot and go about the rest of your day. Simple as that!
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 5 hours 20 minutes Total time: 5 hours 40 minutes Quantity: 6 servings 439 calories per serving
- 400g butternut squash (cubed into 1,5cm pieces)
- 1 ½ cups pearl barley
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 250g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1-liter vegetable broth
- ¾ cup sweet white wine
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set your instant pot to its sauté setting and melt three tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for seven to eight minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the barley and cook for one minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the white wine and keep stirring for three to four minutes.
- Mix in the squash, water and vegetable broth. Stir thoroughly.
- Set the instant pot to its slow cooker function. Close and seal the instant pot and cook the mixture for five hours on its lowest heat setting.
- After the timer has gone off, stir in the remaining butter and then add the parmesan.
- If the risotto is dry, add some additional water. Dish up and serve while hot.