I bet you never thought you’d be making ribs in your instant pot… well, the day has come! This tasty recipe will have you licking off your fingertips to capture every drop of the sweet and spicy sauce left behind by tender, falling-off-the-bone riblets.
Make it a meal by adding sweet potato fries, mashed potatoes or a scrumptious side salad.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Quantity: 4 servings
483 calories per serving
- 6 (10-oz.) bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp corn-starch
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup sticky pre-made barbecue sauce
- ½ cup unsalted stock (beef stock is preferable)
- 2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Set your instant pot to its sauté function on a medium heat setting. Heat some oil in the pot.
- While the oil is heating, use the salt and pepper to spice the short ribs. Once the oil is hot, cook the ribs in batches in the cooker for about 10 minutes or until all pieces are nicely browned.
- Remove the short ribs from the instant pot and put on a plate for later. Add the ginger and garlic to the pot and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef stock to the mixture in the pot and cook it for one minute. Then add the sugar, chili paste, soy sauce, barbecue sauce, and rice vinegar to the mixture and stir it thoroughly to combine.
- Put the short ribs back in the pot and close and seal the instant pot. Set it on its manual function on its highest heat setting and set the timer to 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure using the pressure release valve, carefully remove the lid and take out the short ribs.
- Set your instant pot back to the sauté setting (normal heat) and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Mix together the cold water and corn-starch in a small bowl and then whisk it into the sauce in the instant pot.
- Cook the mixture for about 15 minutes or until it has thickened. Plate the ribs and coat generously with the sauce.