The favorite button on Internet Explorer
A fav or favorite button is an added feature on countless website browsers like Google Chrome, Safari, and even good ‘ole Microsoft Internet Explorer. This button saves a website or web page that a user likes visiting often or as a means to bookmark it for future uses. The favorite button is essentially a bookmark but as the name dictates, it is meant for the favorites.
Depending on the browser you use, you can easily access your favorites simply by clicking the star icon that’s generally found in the upper right-hand corner (Internet Explorer), on Safari you can select the tab marked “Bookmarks” the dropdown menu should include your saved favorites, while the same method can be applied on Chrome.
To find your favorites faster, you can always have a dedicated favorites tab displayed on your browser toolbar.
Navigating Google to find Favorite pages
With so many browsers, websites, and search engines cropping up it can be difficult to keep track of the latest updates being made. Sometimes these new additions can be confusing even to the most computer-literate person.
- However, if you find yourself having difficulty locating the pages you had marked as “favorite,” these are the simple steps you can follow:
- When using your Android gadget (tablet or mobile phone), begin by launching or opening the Chrome app.
- At the topmost right portion locate “More”
- Next tap on “Bookmarks” For devices where the address bar can be found at the bottom, access it by swiping in an upward motion on the bar.
- A Star icon should be visible, select or tap this to view your favorites.
- If you created folders in the past to categorize your favorites then simply locate the folder corresponding to your search to find the same page.
Restoring your Favorites when you accidentally hide it
Messing up your browser’s toolbar and tabs can happen to anyone. With so many gadgets and devices designed to be extra sensitive, it’s not uncommon for people to unknowingly delete apps, send a pocket message, butt dial, or even remove a button or tab from their browser. So how do you get it back?
Favorites restoration in Windows 10
If you are a Windows user and somehow find your list of favorites missing, don’t fret because you can easily get it back. Here’s how to do it:
- On your taskbar locate Edge. This is the blue letter “e” icon.
- When you have successfully launched Edge, select the Hub button which can be found in the top right-hand corner. The hub icon is made up of three horizontal lines.
- Once you access this, select the settings or Favorites. This was the link that used to be labeled as “Import Favorites.”
- From this point, you can click on Internet Explorer in order to get to the Import option.
Putting your Favorites tab back in place
Now that you have your favorites list back, it’s time to ensure that the tab designated to it, is in the right place. This can simply be done by looking into the Settings menu and then clicking on Appearance.
- After you have selected Appearance, look under the section where you can Customize the toolbar.
- Toggle the selection under toolbar customization. A drop-down menu should show up and from there look for the option Show Favorites bar.
- Click on “Always.” Doing this ensures that the favorites bar will always be visible. If you select “Never” this will activate the option not to show your favorites tab on the toolbar.
Restoring Favorites in Google Chrome
Tinkering with new settings or updates can cause a few accidents. One common mistake is deleting or removing a tab on the taskbar. If this is something you are struggling with, here’s how you can rectify that minor issue.
A deleted bookmark folder or bookmark can be restored by hitting Ctrl+Z on the sidebar for Bookmarks or while in the Library window. Another trick to try is to simply go into the “Organize” menu and then prompt the command to “Undo” the action. Of course, these work best when the deletion happens within minutes, because these methods may not be as effective if the deletion happened several days ago.
Understanding how Chrome bookmarks can disappear
More often than not, a user can lose bookmarks accidentally. However, it is not unheard of for them to disappear after an update is done on your Chrome browser or even when you update your Windows operating system to the latest version.
Uninstalling and reinstalling your Chrome will not affect your saved bookmarks as long as you have the sync settings switched on. Do this simply by going into the settings, and under sign in, double-check if the “Advanced sync” is selected. Do so if it isn’t.
Searching for your Chrome bookmarks
Are your bookmarks nowhere to be found? The quickest way to try and locate them is by searching for them. These are the steps you need to take:
- Launch the Chrome browser and then open “Settings.”
- Under the Settings menu, locate the “Sign in” option.
- “Advanced sync” settings can be found under it.
- From here, toggle the control until you are able to unsync your bookmarks.
- Exit Google Chrome.
- Go into the user data folder designated by Chrome and then look for any other file named “Bookmarks.”
Locating where the bookmarks file is being stored
Manually searching for files is not a difficult process. Files can often be found in directories. The path to follow when searching where the bookmarks are being stored is as follows: “AppData\Local\Google\User Data\Defalt.” In the event that you wish to change or completely delete a bookmark file, you can simply select “Bookmarks” or the bookmark file with a “.bak” extension. It should be noted that for this to work you must first exit your Chrome browser before making the necessary modifications.
Installing and uninstalling Chrome
The most command advice tech support will give users who are experiencing issues with software or app is to uninstall and then reinstall it. Chrome has an Uninstall button that users can click to remove the browser instantly. To reinstall it just search for the app download page on Google Chrome or the Play Store.
However, if you are looking to do a clean install, you need to go into your operating system’s control panel. Windows users can add or remove programs with a pre-installed feature on Windows XP. Make sure that the Hidden Files view is enabled before moving on to the next part of the process of deleting the assigned folders for Chrome that can be found on your computer.
In some instances, uninstalling Google Chrome requires a little troubleshooting. If you find yourself in a position where the app is not uninstalling you can launch your Task Manager. An uninstall option is available here but make sure that all background processes that are related to the app are closed. Along with this, ensure that any extensions from third parties are exited completely.
Don’t be worried about any of your saved passwords getting deleted. As long as you have them backed up then it shouldn’t be a problem. Installer programs on computers can be removed with no problem. However, if the browser is preinstalled on your tablet or phone then this is not an option.
Without knowing computers can become infected with malware. Malware can come from the website you visit, the links your friends sent, or from an email you received. It’s possible to remove malware from your computer just by removing and resetting the entire system.
Uninstalling and reinstalling a browser can help, but only if the infection is not within your Google account. The minute you log into your user account then your cloud backup simply reinstalls the malware that’s saved in your files. Wiping the sync data completely can solve this issue, note that it will also delete any backups on the cloud along with the pesky malware.
To avoid malware and other types of viruses make it a habit to have antivirus software installed. Use ad-blockers and have your firewall set up. When in doubt, seek the assistance of a professional.
What determines website popularity?
The popularity of any website is determined simply by the number of people who regularly visit the page. All websites make the effort to monitor these numbers. Data for both incoming as well as outgoing visitors are recorded daily. The same goes for the duration they stay on a site. Other factors such as the number of pages they visit on a website, links they click on, and ads they watch or skip are also closely observed.
Information collected can include the time of day a person visits, the country of origin, gender, and age are also noted. This info is vital because it helps site owners and developers determine whether their website or business is doing well or if any adjustments need to be done.
That said, it is clear that there are some websites on the internet that are more popular than others. According to Search Engine Optimization company, Moz, these are some of the most visited websites today.
This data is based on Moz’s current list of the Top 500 Most Visited Websites on the Internet.