Of course, the first suggestion we have for using your instant pot as a slow cooker would be to be a bowl of soup! Today, it’s not just any soup, it’s a family favorite that has been chopped and changed over the past few decades.
The last changes were made by me, shortly after I bought my first instant pot. I simply had to see what our family’s favorite soup would taste like coming straight from an instant pot. I was not disappointed — and neither will you be!
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 8 hours Total time: 8 hours 5 minutes Quantity: 8 servings 408 calories per serving
- 1 kg smoked ham (no skin or fat)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 3 small celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups dried yellow split peas (rinsed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 liters chicken broth
- 4 cups of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Switch your instant pot to the slow cooker function. Put the ham, carrots, celery stalks, onion, garlic, split peas, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Pour in all the broth and water and stir the mixture.
- Close and seal the lid of the instant pot. Set the slow cooker function on its lowest setting for eight to nine hours.
- Release the pressure using the pressure release valve and remove the ham from the instant pot. Shred the ham using meat forks and discard the bone and any residual fat.
- Return two cups of ham to the soup and store the remaining ham to be used in another meal or as part of a snack.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and add any other spices you want.
- Dish up into soup bowls and serve with delicious grainy whole-wheat bread.